In a previous post I talked about deleting distributions from CPAN, and how there are plenty of dists that CPAN would be better without. In that I said I was going to start looking for candidate dists for removal. The first such dist, containing Win32::FUtils, has now been removed from CPAN (on 19th Jan 2014).

Read more ...

I've just released a new version of HTML::Summary, which I adopted from Ave Wrigley (AWRIGLEY) and Tony Rose (TGROSE). The main reason I did this was to resolve a mix-up in PAUSE permissions, that was spotted by Brian Cassidy (BRICAS). But I was also coming full circle: I previously worked with Ave and Tony, and wrote the first version of HTML::Summary (with Tony), which never made it to CPAN.

Read more ...

I've just released Text::Markdown::PerlExtensions to CPAN. This is a subclass of Text::Markdown that provides extensions for referring to Perl things using a pod-style syntax. I wrote it to use in bs, my blogging engine. At the moment it has formatting codes for referring to CPAN modules and authors.

Read more ...

While creating the CPAN Report I decided to try and create the plots with as many different CPAN distributions as possible. This turned out to be very frustrating, and in the end I only used two packages.

Read more ...

I think there are times when a distribution should be removed from CPAN entirely. If a distribution doesn't appear to be used, and there are other dists providing the same functionality which are being used, then I think we can consider removing it from CPAN. In this post I'll describe why it's good for CPAN if appropriate distributions are removed, how to decide what distributions should be removed, and suggest a process for distribution removal.

Read more ...

I've extended the CPAN adoption list to factor in results from CPAN Testers. This caused 6 dists to move up into the top 20.

Read more ...

I've added an adoption leaderboard to my CPAN adoption list. Kudos to Ron Savage who chipping away at the adoption list.

Read more ...

I had a patch accepted which adds an is_core() function to Module::CoreList. This was my first attempt at modifying a core module. This post describes the function, why I wanted it, and my experience adding it to a core module. And then fixing the bug I introduced!

Read more ...

The Perl release graph

corevisualization Fri 20 September 2013

While playing with Module::CoreList I realised that the history of Perl releases is not a straight line, but a tree or graph. So I immediately wanted to draw it, and here it is.

Read more ...

Iterating over all dists on CPAN

CPANPAUSEiteratorsJSON Sat 14 September 2013

I recently released a new version of my PAUSE::Packages module, which caches information about releases on CPAN and makes it easy to iterate over it. In this post I'll cover the motivation for this module, why I decided to transform the existing PAUSE export file, and how David Golden nudged me to use JSON.

Read more ...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14